Three Legged Dog Club
Cassie's Club Members

My name is Tammy and this is my baby Thumper.
He is a beautiful 3 1/2 year old Pomeranian.
My poor baby now only has three legs.
On Nov 18, 2006 he was in the back yard going potty.
There is a crack in the fence that connects to our neighbors yard.
Well, Thumper was barking at the dog that was behind the fence.
Thumper happened to get his paw stuck in the fence.
I was inside and I heard Thumper screaming.
I ran out to see what was going on.
He was trying to get his paw free, but couldn't.
I was trying to help him, but the dog on the other side of the fence was biting at us.
I was screaming for help, for anyone to help me.
My husband ran out of the house and by then Thumper had gotten free.
He picked Thumper up and we saw that the dog had bitten his leg off.
The bone was exposed and blood was everywhere.
He was rushed to the emergency vet where he stayed for two days.
The following day they had to remove the rest of Thumpers leg.
He stayed in the hospital another two days.
At the same time I was also bitten and had to get Emergency help also.
It was the worst night of my life. I was always so careful with Thumper. He is a little dog, and I protected him everywhere we went.
But I couldn't protect him in my own back yard.
Something I will never forgive myself for.
Thumper is a happy little dog and he does everything with me.
I love him so much and this was the hardest thing we had to go through.
I'm so thankful that I still have Thumper with me.
I don't know what I would do without him. I still cry every day for him.
We will bring him home from the hospital tomorrow and start the healing process. The stories on your page have helped me realize Thumper can live a normal life. He's still my beautiful baby and always will be.

Wednesday November 22, 2006


This is Tammy again, just giving an update on how Thumper is doing after his amputation. The first two weeks from bringing him home were very hard on us.
He ended up back to the Emergency Vet three times from problems.
Trying to be careful with him and not letting him move was hard.
It's been almost two months now and Thumper is doing great.
He is back to his old self.
It took him awhile to go out in the backyard, but he's going out there now.
He runs and he plays and its like that leg was never even there.
I was so scared that he wouldn't be able to do the stuff from before, but he does.
He has ramps that he uses to get on and off the couch.
He can still eat his treats with the one paw, it takes longer but he does it.
He rides in the car good still.
He can't go as far walking as he used to, due to his breathing.
Apparently he has a collapsing trachea.
But hopefully with time, he can get past that too.
He has a new companion puppy to keep him busy and on his toes.
But he is doing great. He's still my Happy little Thumper.
And he still loves his Mama very much.
Thanks for the stories; they helped out a lot.
It's nice to have your website.

P.S. I've had no response from the Neighbors; it's sad they don't care.
Wednesday January 10, 2007


My name is Luis Ortega, owner of one of my best pals "Rocky."
His story begins when I got home from work one day and after taking a nap on my sofa I decided to check up on my dogs since I hadn't heard them playing.
I was very concerned for them when I noticed that they were not there.
My father and I set out to look for them, but no luck.
We kept on looking during the day and night
while my mother looked around the hours of 2 or 3 a.m. for 2 weeks.
I was determined to find my dogs, especially my Rocky,
since we've had him since he was a pup.
"Spot," the other dog, belonged to my sister;
they were both close to the family, but not like Rocky.

After posting up Reward signs, calling different shelters, and looking everywhere,
I saw on our caller I.D. that we finally got a call from Houston SPCA.
My sister and my mom went to go see which dog it was,
and we were all having mixed emotions because we were glad that they found Spot, but no Rocky.

All of our hopes fell to the floor because we had hope that they would stick - and be found - together, but that was not the case, and we concluded the worse for Rocky.
Either be got killed on the road, went hungry or someone used Rocky in an illegal fight since was a big-headed, strong, good-looking Pit Bull.
We stopped looking for him after three and a half weeks,
because it hurt us a lot emotionally coming home empty-handed.

Exactly one month after his disappearance,
I got a call from a woman claiming that she had Rocky,
and that he did not look good.
I rushed to where she lived, and I couldn't believe my eyes.
My 73-lb., strong Rocky was diminished to bones with a severely wounded rear leg.
It was incredible, staring into his light brown eyes so long afterward...
and feeling his love, because once I held him in my arms,
he took a deep breath and fell into my arms, crying for me.

I rushed him to an emergency vet clinic.
There, the surgeon told us that apart from his severe weight loss posing danger, his leg was broken, and due to it being an old open fracture, he had only a 50% chance of a Fusion
(where they try to connect his bones with a metal plate)
working to save his leg, because of the amount of bacteria that he had.
The swelling went down after a couple of days,
but during a visit before he went into operation, the surgeon gave me the bad news that Rocky's limb had to be amputated because it was already dying from the inside out. His toes were already turning black with an awful smell to the limb.

I thought that his having only three legs would discourage him
and that he would not want to do anything,
but the only thing that he can't do now is jump high.
Other than that, he still keeps up with me running, and he is extra playful. My three-legged dog is as good as any other, or better.
Everyone is happy our "Rocky" is home once again!

Monday November 27, 2006

< < Previous Page   Next Page > >