Three Legged Dog Club
Cassie's Club Members

My name is Jessica and my precious little dog has only 3 legs
but let me assure you, it doesn't slow her down...

She actually had her amputation surgery on Monday and it's now Thursday, and she's recovering wonderfully... Her name is Bandit and she is a 2 yr old Boxer mix...

She was a stray dog I found when she was only a small pup..
I immediately fell in love with her.
I have never seen a dog as resilient as she is...
she's so strong.

I have undergone a lot of criticism from my friends and family
for not having her put to sleep....

She was hit by a motorcycle and suffered a crushed back leg and it had to be amputated.. I was devastated... But to my surprise, she's just fine...

We would love to join your club,
and will gladly send more pictures as her healing process continues..

Thanks a bunch...

Monday May 14, 2007


Hi, my name is Jessica.
I have been looking through your beautiful site.
I have been doing research on tripod dogs.
My husband and I have been debating on amputating our dog Georgia's left hind leg. We have lots of questions b/c from what we hear her case is rare. Here is our daughter's story.
If anyone has any suggestions or answers please let us know.

Feb 24, 2007 we noticed Georgia had lameness in her back left leg.
We ignored it for a week then realized it was getting worse.
We took her to the vet and after several radiographs the vet pointed out
a very suspicious spot on her femur. We were certain it was cancer.
We scheduled Georgia for a biopsy with a specialist.
Luckily, the biopsy came back not cancer.

Instead, she was diagnosed with having a severe fungal infection in the bone. Sounds simple enough....
well, not exactly.
We began her on anti-inflammatory meds, anti-fungal meds and pain meds and were supposed to reexamine her in three weeks.
She didn't make it to the three week mark; I took her in early.
She had a softball size lump on her rib and she wouldn't even think about using her leg. The treatment was not helping at all. At the vet the x-rays revealed the fungus had almost tripled in the leg and severe damage had been done to the bone.

Almost half of the bone was gone. We splinted the leg for support,
b/c the leg could break at any time. I mentioned amputation to our vet;
the only problem was the spot on the rib, amputation wouldn't help it.
Our only option was to start her on a stronger anti-fungal,
give it two weeks and see if she improved....
if not, then nothing would help, our vet stated.
Well, tomorrow Georgia goes to the vet for her two week check-up.
The spot on her rib is visibly gone, but she still doesn't use the back leg.

I'm all for amputating, however my husband is having a difficult time accepting the idea. He feels it will cause her a lot of pain and she has already been through enough pain. If anyone has had a similar situation, any advice would greatly be appreciated. We love Georgia more than anything. I don't want to give up on her now.
Here are some pictures of our Georgia girl!!
Thank you!

Jessica Young
Wednesday May 2, 2007

Thank you for responding so quickly.
I see the same look in her eyes you are talking about.
That's not her at all; she is a confident alpha dog that usually has an irresistible sparkle in her eye. That same look is the reason my husband doesn't want to amputate.
He thinks she looks tired and ready to give up.
Personally, I don't think that's the case.
I think she's ready to get rid of it and start feeling better.
I will keep you updated as to the fungus.
The vet said she must have been immuno-compromised and was at the wrong place at the wrong time and possibly inhaled the fungus. We keep her so clean and take such good care of her; it was a shock to us. Again thank you for your advice, I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow!

Jessica Young
Wednesday May 2, 2007

Our vet and our specialist have said it's something that possibly could have been dormant for years and is just now surfacing. She has lost 13 pounds through this experience. I'm not sure about any of her siblings or her mother. I should try and find out. I'm much more accepting. I'm a nurse and I understand; my husband is just having a hard time. In time he will understand amputating is the best option.

Wednesday May 2, 2007

Hi, we took Georgia to the vet last Thursday.
Not so good news. From where the fungus had eaten away her bone it was really weak. She snapped the femur in two, so her only option was amputation. She is in surgery now. I think she will be relieved when she gets done.

So, I guess now we can officially become members of the club.
I will send pictures of our fighter when she gets home!

Monday May 7, 2007

Hi! Here is a pic of Georgia and one with my husband.
She is doing wonderfully; she is back to riding on the four-wheeler with my husband, already! I was wondering when we can find her on the website? Can't wait to show our family she's a part of the club!
Thanks for all of your support!

Monday May 21, 2007

< < Previous Page   Next Page > >